Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Closing chapter on our Family Reunions


From Millie Meyer:

 Dear Family, 

The time has come to close the book on our reunions. Actually it has passed but it was suggested that we let it ride a while longer just because we could, so we did. Now is the time for the few of us left on board to turn loose.

 I have heard from several of you that would like to keep things going but you are in the same boat we are, past your prime, far away. etc. I had written this letter two months ago but a new computer came into our lives and when I tried to bring it (the letter) to the surface, it was "dinged" into cyberspace or wherever things go that just disappear when I am on the keyboard. We all have full lives and families, friends, pets, hobbies, church and just "life" that fill our time and make lives complete. Of all these things, family, by far, is the most important .

 I've addressed all of the envelopes this evening and Gail is putting the stamps on and return addresses, So they will be going out in the very near future. Tom will be writing the checks to each of the schools in Greer County, Oklahoma and we have asked that the money go toward the purchase of school supplies for learning reading and writing and 'rithmetic. These are the schools that most of the older generation attended and it seems an excellent resting place for the small amount of money left in the reunion treasury. The government hands out things like cell phones and computers, we are family.

 If anything comes out in the local papers about the donation, I have asked that a copy be sent to me and I will try to figure out how to send copies to each of you. So I am holding up sending this regular mail until we see what happens. The rest of you, getting email, could get it anytime it happens to arrive here. 

I have called several of our older-timers today and wished them a Merry Christmas. Fern Rister sounded "hail and hearty" after a few minutes, she is Aunt Viola's daughter and resides in California. Told me she had a picture of me from the last reunion sent to her by Loufine. 

Then Doris Sharp, Aunt Carrie Mae's daughter, living in Louisiana. She has spent a lot of the last year in nursing homes and hospitals and was not feeling well today but knowing her she could be a hundred percent better tomorrow. Doris will be 93 in March 2013. 

Then I called Virginia Olive, the wife of Dale Olive, and had to talk to Patye, their daughter. Virginia was in bed, very bad sick. Had had a blood clot. Did not talk very long here. 

Then I called Loetta and she sounded great after a few minutes and reminded me that she had turned eighty two weeks ago so I told her that I turned 79 yesterday, so was close on her heels. She has had a rough year with her health as well but sounds like she is on the mend now. 

Please join me in keeping all of these fine ladies in your prayers. 

One of the young chicks out there told me to quit trying to act like an old woman in an email I received about the closing of the reunion. I did not answer it but she will read this and so I say "when you get to be 79 years old, you don't have to ACT OLD, you ARE old". 

So this letter is going to rest for awhile until all is ready for the final hoorah. I guess this is as good a time as ever to go ahead and send this. I have corrected some of the above and added details, some necessary and some not, but you have been made aware of what is going on. I am still planning to collect pictures of the gravesites at the cemeteries where our family is buried and if it turns out to be of interest, I will be sharing it with you where I can. 

I love all of you, please remember that. 

Much love, Your secretary, Millie Meyer

 The home of numerous Rough and Smooth coated, home bred, group winning Collie champions, among the over 100 titled individuals we have been privileged to have born here and share our lives. Thanks for the memories! Also enthusiast of wolf memorabilia, lace making, seamstress, jewelry making, family history, genealogy, family preparedness, gardening, and student of Biblical history.

No comments: